Monday, September 21, 2009

Radial Head Subluxation...SAY WHAT????

Yeah, I know...what the? It happened to Trinity yesterday. In lamens, or "dummy" terms, she dislocated her radius bone in her forearm *cringe*. The doctor took x-rays and determined there was no fracture *thank you GOD!* but wasn't sure what it was....then he decided "I think I am going to try one more manipulation", and this is when Trinity responds "What does manipulation mean???" We had to hold her down while the doctor proceeds to pop her bone back into line *double cringe*....you should have seen her eyes. Imagine when you are watching one of those action packed shows where the leading star dislocates his shoulder, then someone has to force it back into the socket, theres a really loud POP, TONS of pain and screaming, and then, as if nothing happened, all is good.

So, I suppose you are wondering how this all happened? I beat her. RIGHT...like that would happen. She was standing on the cart at Walmart, back where the handle is, and had her arm lodged in between the handle and the area where the child sits. She saw a toy and jumped down, but failed to move her left arm out of the lodged position, and it hyperextended thus popping the bone out of place *YUM!*. I am happy to report, that she is doing lovely.

Take this as a lesson, no lodging of extremeties in carts, it's just not worth the pain!

1 comment:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

This happened to Ryan a couple of years ago when we were holding hands for him to hop down the curb into the parking lot. I pulled him up before he was ready to jump and his elbow popped loose. The doctor said it happens all the time, but that 10 minute ride to her office was the longest of my LIFE! The mommy guilt I felt was awful.

A friend of mine had this happen twice to her daughter and the second time, her doctor explained to her how to pop it back in place to save her the trouble of coming in "next time." Because apparently, after it happens twice, it slips in and out easily. My friend didn't have the stomach for it (neither would I!) but thankfully, it didn't happen again.

YUCK!!!