Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pump it up!

Not like the dance. No, no...this is nothing that Salt n Pepa could have written, this is something FAR different. Welcome, to my pump. I had my Zofran pump installed" today. I have been upgraded from "regular mommy" to "cyborg super mommy". All kidding aside, this is a lifesaver. *if you are interested, I can upload a picture, otherwise, here is a stock photo of the unit*

For those who have been emailing and asking, let me clarify what is going on with our pregnancy right now. I am currently 15 1/2 weeks pregnant, and have been diagnosed with late onset hyperemesis gravidarum. It happens in about 1% of pregnancies, and though the cause is unknown, most health care profs think that it can be attributed to hormonal changes during pregnancy. This HG is nothing new to us though. I had a very severe case when I was pregnant with my Trinity. To sum up what it feels like, I can only explain it like this...think about morning sickness, now, add in the feeling you get when you get off the teacups, throw in the feeling you get when you have food poisoning and just for fun, add in flu symptoms...there you go, Hyperemesis Gravidarum has come a knocking on your door. It's virtually impossible to get anything done, showering, walking, riding in the car, eating, even laying down to rest are sometimes unbearable. So, after trips to the ER, admissions to the hospital, dehydration, weight loss, I.V.'s and major vomitting...our midwife concluded it was time to take the next step.

Zofran is the drug that I am currently on. Some women who suffer from HG respond very well to oral forms of this medication, but, not this mama. I have had 4mg every 4 hours, 4 mg every 2 hours, 8 mg every 6 hours, to 8 mg every 4 hours...they take the edge off, let me look like I function like a normal human being, but I still can't keep any food down, only liquids, and in VERY small amounts.

This medication is commonly administered to patients going in for surgeries to bypass any vomitting or naseau that they may experience, and is prescribed to cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. I will most likely have to be on Zofran IV the duration of this pregnancy. So, here is a little list of Q&A for anyone doing research on Zofran. Hope this helps.

Does it hurt? Yes, but like with anything, you get used to it. I can't start a site myself, Shannon has to do it....I am such a wuss when it comes to injecting myself with needles.

Are their any side effects? To me...welts at the infusion site, redness and itching and hardening at the site. At times, it can make you dizzy, but nothing compared to the way I was feeling before the medication. To baby, there are no known side effects, and having a daughter that was a Zofran pregnancy, I can tell you, there are none...maybe just increased language/chattiness LOL.

Does it work?? OMG....does it ever. Like night and day. I go from not being able to sit up or eat and drink, to functioning like a "normal" (whatever that means) person.

Is it expensive? Terribly. If you don't have insurance, be prepared to pay out the ass...and I mean it. The oral medication runs about $30/pill, and I had to take 2 every 4 hours to be semi-functioning. The pump itself is covered through insurance, but if lost or damaged, the $4995 price tag could really set you back. You have to change your site at least every 2 days, and that means new tubing, needles and biohazard/sharps bags. I haven't gotten the run down sheet from the insurance company yet regarding costs, but 7 years ago when I was pg with Trinity, the syringes of medication ran about $85/syringe, and I had to use 2 in a day everyday. YIKES.

How long will you have to be on it? I was on the IV with Trinity until my 8th month. It's likely that I will be on this medication for the duration of the pregnancy. Most women who suffer from HG early onset, will have the symptoms for the first 20 weeks.

Is it big and bulky? No, about the size of a Nintendo DS, but not as heavy. It's fairly easy to conceal, especially if you have a purse you carry...problem..I don't usually carry a purse and I have a big little boy on my hip.

So, hopefully this answered some questions for all of you, hopefully if there are other mamas suffering from HG they are able to read this and feel some sense of preparedness. Ultimately, I have to say how thankful I am. I am thankful for getting and staying pregnant, for having access to lifesaving medication, and for a supporting family and great small circle of friends. Now, lets just get through these next 5 months shall we!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good Lord Jenn! I was telling an employee at work today about how I have this friend (points at you!) who is preggo and just got a Zofran pump and my employee went on and on about how great it worked on her sister in law, yadda yadda, but that it was uber expensive. Now that you've broken it down, that is just far more than I initially thought it to be! Thank God for insurance. I hope it continues to work for you and that you don't have to use it for the duration of your pregnancy.

Oh, and, I am just imagining all the fun and laughter you will be having when this little one turns out to be as chatty as Trin. That just puts a big 'ol smile on my face! :)