Sunday, February 8, 2009

I love you Einstein

Since Trinity was just a little bean, she has been fascinated with all things imaginary. There were days that I would worry when she would stay "in character" and not budge from who she was pretending to be despite my many bribes and pleads for her to "Just be Trinity for a little bit". I actually called one of my friends who majored in Child Studies to find out if it was ok to let her just get so lost in her imaginary world. What I didn't think about was that she was learning and growing and doing it as her little mind was meant to. What a better way to learn about our world than to "BE" what it is that we are learning about?






As we all know, as parents we are continually tested and have to find out what works best for us and our kids. During the "pretendilema" I adopted the quote from famous genius Albert Einstein "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
We constantly strive to teach our children right, to give them all the knowledge that we have jammed in our heads so that they will be better prepared for the real world....but what about their world? That precious, innocent, sweet and very hard to find world full of imagination and splendor. The "Aw mom, just 5 more minutes" world of playing dolls and pretending to be animals. The "lets make a fort out of all the pillows, cushions and sheets that we can find" world. We have to, especially in these extremely dark and trying times, HAVE to allow that bright light shine through. I don't stress about those little insignificant things anymore, I just stare it right in the face, and offer it another cup of this delicious imaginary tea that my daughter has made...you should come over and try it sometime..or better yet, make your own!

No comments: