Monday, January 12, 2009

#27 - Start Trinity in a Preschool Program...DONE!

We visited Trinity Lutheran Church and School last Monday and were blown away by the amount of love that poured out of that classroom. As some of you may remember, Trinity started school last year as a Kinder, 1 year early, and had a bad experience. Well, this was not a re-run...at all. The class carries a religious undertone, God and Jesus are talked about during the duration of the class, and they are introduced to bible stories and prayer. The teacher is a mother herself and so amazingly patient. I enjoy that she allows us to come and go as we please, and welcomes more parents to do so. The children are all so well behaved, and she even has a friend that she has grown up with in her class. TATUM!

We dropped her off early today, and stayed for about half an hour. She was moving from station to station and Shan, Tristan and I just stayed in the shadows, allowing her to do her own thing. She didn't look to us for approval, just kept on going at her own pace. It was so refreshing to see her in her element, learning, smiling, laughing, playing with other children. I just adore seeing her happy!

She made a new little friend in class. She and the new girl were playing with dolls when I overheard part of their conversation...it was so sweet and endearing and it went something like this.

Girl: "Did you want to be my friend??"
T: "Of course I will be your friend, my name is Trinity."
Girl: "Good, because....*pause*...I don't really have any friends, no one wants to be MY friend."
T: "*smiles and looks right at the little girl* Well, guess what?"
Girl: "Hmm?"
T: "I'm your friend now. Come on, lets play!!"

It made my heart sing. I have always known her to be compassionate, but, this was such an amazing act of love and friendship, it truly touched my soul.

The time came for Tristan to go to Therapy, so, we told her we had to leave, and honestly, I felt no apprehension. I wasn't afraid that she was going to cry, I could feel how comfortable she was there. We took off and came back in 2 hours, only to find she didn't even miss us! For a child that has suffered from serious seperation anxiety, what an accomplishment! I was elated. We just waited until school was out and came in a few minutes early to sit with her. She had such a great time.

I am very overjoyed that we have found such an amazing school, and one that she truly enjoys going to. On the car ride home she says "Mama, I want to have school EVERYDAY!" and then follows it with "Is this what school is really like mama??? If so, then I LOVE school."

PICTURES COMING!!!!

4 comments:

Xandi said...

Yay! I'm so glad you guys decided to. I knew she would love Tatum's class. So is the little girl Abigail? Her mom always says how shy she is and how she never plays with any of the other kids (the blonde).

"Intentionally Katie" said...

WOO HOO!!! This IS what school is supposed to be like. I'm so happy for you guys that this was a great experience for her. With her personality, she will totally thrive in school. And that conversation with the little friend is priceless.

the Woodard family said...

We have had a very positive experience at Trinity with both kids. I am glad Trinity is enjoying it.

Jenn Hydeman said...

Yeah, we are totally LOVING it right now, I wish we could take her teacher with us when she goes to K!!