Tuesday, January 6, 2009

She is free to do as she wishes


I am watching as my daughter goes racing down the street in her rollerblades. Despite my reservations, she decides to tackle the VERY BIG hill and goes full force, arms spread eagle and head facing the sun. She is elated...I, however, am TERRIFIED. I don't show her that I am scared, but, I want to scream from the top of my lungs "TRINITY....BE CAREFUL!!!!" As a mother, we want to shelter our children from harm, we want to keep their safety as a number one priority, but, at times, we can be stiffling without even knowing it. I let her take the big hill, even knowing that she may fall and hurt herself. But truthfully, I don't think I had a choice in the matter...she already decided that she would do this...staring down the fact that she could tumble and fall...she was free to do as she wished.

When I was pregnant I wondered when that day would come. When my child would start making very important decisions on her own. When she would weigh in the consequences and even with the obvious variables, do what she wanted. Today was that day for me...for her. I am happy to say, she didn't fall...no, she did quite the opposite, she raced...very quickly down the hill and kept her composure, she didn't scream or get scared, she stayed in control. You should have seen her face when we got to the bottom. The pride that was strewn across that precious apple shaped face will forever be embedded into my memory. When we have another day that parallels this one, I hope to look back and remember that triumph for her...I had a tiny hand in it, even though ultimately, she was free to do as she wished.

No comments: