Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Bad Dog, Don't eat the Kitty.....

So, for those who follow our blog, you know that we recently "adopted" a Great Dane that we stumbled upon in the desert. She is amazing, beautiful, graceful (when she is not running on tile that is...)...and sweet to my entire family...that is...until she met Kitty. They have been fine, Demetri (Kitty) hisses at her, but really, nothing horrible, until last Friday. Last Friday will FOREVER stick in my head, it is one of those kinda days. Shannon, Trinity, Tristan, ALL the dogs and the cat were upstairs playing "Pet Shop". Trinity had Demetri in the tent with her, and apparently, Kitty had enough for the night and darted out to go back to her safe haven, under Trin's bed. Out of nowhere, Maxine pounces on her, grabbing her in her jaws and shaking her...I didn't have the "pleasure" of witnessing it, but I heard it all while I was downstairs making dinner...I started screaming "NOOOOOO, NOOOOOO" I thought for sure it was one of the kids, Trinity was screaming..yes, she unfortunately, DID see it happen.

Shannon pinned the dog on the ground and I came up and swooped Demetri in my arms. I didn't see it then, but when I got her into Trin's room I noticed it...a puncture, a BIG puncture. It wasn't bleeding, so I cleaned the wound with peroxide and water and packed it with guaze. I gave her 1/4 of Shyanne's pain meds (feline safe of course) and put her in her carrier with bedding and water. The next morning we called the vet immediately and they said that they could squeeze us in. I checked her wound and it quadrupled over night...what was once a puncture was now a hole and I was really starting to get worried. The vets were wonderful and able to stitch her up very well..the muscle was seperated so she required inner stitches to reattach them, 2 drains, and outside staples. My poor kitty is shaved halfway and is not happy. Needless to say, we are needing now to find a new home for Maxine, which is a shame since we loved her so much.

No comments: