Thursday, June 7, 2007

Doctors are like Barbers

My dad made a good point....Doctors are like Barbers...their jobs rely on the concept of a "need". If that need is not present, then their jobs are not justified. Barbers will tell people that they need a haircut, even if you don't, just as Doctors will find something wrong even if their isn't. In my experience as a mom, I find this to be VERY true.

This is all coming about because of our meeting with the EI yesterday. She said that Tristan does have a noticable delay in Gross Motor Functions...about 50%, but I wonder, how could they notice this in just one 2 hour visit? She seemed concerned enough to refer us to a PT. But, Tristan is functioning at a level that seems to be to par with other babies his age.

I worry too much. I need to stop doing that. I am just going to enjoy him. We don't need any haircuts over here, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A 50% delay? Wow, you're right - how did they diagnose that after such a short observation period? I love the doctors/barbers analogy. How old is he? What is he supposed to be doing right now that he doesn't already do?

Jenn Hydeman said...

I don't know...we are going to followup with a PT and then have a neuro screen for further evaluation. We know that he is young, but I guess there are certain "things" that the PED sees and wants to be proactive. He is not pulling up to a stand on his own, he doesn't lift his arms up in the air, wave bye, bye, or crawl on all fours. He does not bang toys together or really balance to well in a sit position. So, all in all, I can sordove see why they are interested in another eval. We are just going to do our thing though, not allow a little eval to set us back...we love him regardless!

Unknown said...

When will he be 1? Josiah just turned 1 on Wednesday and he is just barely now starting to pull himself up to a standing position. And I mean, he doesn't do it often. He just started crawling a couple of months ago. He has been sitting up unsupported for about 3 months. Um let's see... he doesn't wave bye bye but he does lift his arms in the air. So he's got a lot of the same type of development that Tristan does and his doc hasn't shown any concern. Maybe it's because they are both chubby bubbies? Did you say Trin was a little "slower" in her development too? My girls all walked before 10 months and all that jazz, but we never used them to compare against my other nieces/nephews. Every child is a little different and eventually they get there. That's what makes them so special. :)

Jenn Hydeman said...

He will be one next month on the 15th. And, read my updated blog...it's like the kiddos know when they are being "critiqued"...silly little guy.