Monday, June 4, 2007

Tristan, you are perfect


My son, he is the cutest thing ever. His PED seems to thing that he is showing signs of Delay, mostly in the Gross Motor department...but keep in mind, he is VERY large for his age, so yeah..he can't pick up his body and stand by himself..he weighs 28lbs for crying out loud! He has been given various tests, Early Intervention has been over a few times to evaluate him..now they want to come back again. I don't think that there is anything wrong, he is just slower than some in certain things, whereas he is advanced in others. A part of me feels that maybe there is...but, I feel confused because the Docs tell you "don't compare your child to other children" then they use this comparison to evaluate them...why the double standard?


I love him. I think he is perfect, it just is so hard for me when others, namely, his PED. want him to get all these tests done...and I don't think they are necessary. We came to the conclusion that no matter what any test shows, we will love him...we do love him...so, why does it matter? I suppose early prevention is best, but really, what can I do that I am not already doing? I was a speech therapist for autistic children...you think I couldn't recognize ASD in my own child? I know how to evaluate for these things better than them! It's just a little frustrating...it's like they are saying something is wrong with him. SO, I guess, keep us in your thoughts, and we will keep you posted! Take care :)

2 comments:

Stella said...

Oh Jen, **Big Hugs** We went through the same thing with Mariah. We noticed something was up at about 18 months. She was diagnosed with PDD at 36 months, she is doing fine now. She struggles in school and social situations still are awkward, but everyday she seems to learn more. We overcame the speech delay and now we have to get over the math!!

Early intervention is what helped Mariah the most. I am glad that you guys are doing that for Tristan. Although...he is so young! I wouldn't worry yet.

Big Hugs...HE is perfect!

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Jenn, don't listen to the doctors yet. Especially if you're not going to do anything differently. The medical field is so quick to compare...remember the situation with your pregnancy with Trinity. "She's so small...she's not growing...we have to induce labor!" It's so scary to hear trained professionals tell you the "What ifs" and worst case scenario, but just find a peace about it and wait a few more months. Ryan was big (though not 28 lbs...little bubba!) and he was on the FAR slow end of "normal" for everything physical. Still is. I think it was b/c his head was too big for his body, but that's another story. LOL!

Don't worry, he won't be in Kindergarten and still not able to pull himself to his feet. That's what I used to tell myself. Now here we are with Kaylin and she's no where NEAR crawling at nearly 10 months. She has no need to go anywhere...or she's lazy. Either way, she's just a mellow babe. Maybe she and Tristan just aren't in a rush to compete with Ryan and Trinity? We'll pray for you, but more for your heart and for a sense of peace. Why worry if you can't do anything to change a situation, right? Hang in there, friend.