Sunday, June 17, 2007

Weaned


For those who don't already know, we decided long ago that we would allow our children to wean from breastfeeding at their own pace.

Trinity has been "day weaned" for sometime now. She just recently decided that she wanted to be TOTALLY weaned (within the last couple weeks or so). She has said things like "Mommy, I am ready to be done nursing so I can have a sleepover with my Emma" (her cousinn). Or, "Mommy, I am going to go to sleep in my own room tonight, with no nursies...my animals (her fish and hermit crab) want me to sleep with them tonight." SO, with that said, we went balls to the wall. She has been "tickled" to sleep. Now, don't get me wrong, she goes to sleep with out nursing, but, we are really doing it now...no nursing, even if she mentions that she wants to, because, she is REALLY ready! So, the cutest, funniest thing, now that she has been "dry" for a week or so. Tonight, when I am tickling her back, she says, "Mommy, I changed my mind", I say, "Bout what baby?" she says, "About nursing and becoming a big girl, I changed my mind" (meaning, she wanted to nurse) I say "It doesn' t really work like that sweet pea" and she says "I don't want to be big yet, maybe next week" I was laughing....and told her to snuggle with me while I tickle her back. She feel asleep. The greatest part of all of this for me is that she did this all on her own, no tears.

I am sure some people think we are insane. Some may even say "ABOUT TIME", we think it is the perfect timing, HER timing...and, well, I don't care what anyone else thinks....if I did, then I wouldn't be her parent, they would. I am proud of my baby...I mean, little girl!!!!

2 comments:

Gina said...

So sweet!

leaner said...

How sweet, see that is what I want. I have been struggling with weaning, or thinking of weaning for a few months and this gives me that little push of "she'll do it when she is ready." Thank you.