Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Blue is my new favorite word

Today was a L O N G Day. It started out with Tristan's checkup with his Developmental Ped...they moved offices to 40th STREET and Bell, and if you know where we live, OY! His appointment was at 930, so we had to scoot out by 8. It went GREAT. His Non-Verbal Test score was a 97 on a scale to 100, he mentioned that little t has the highest score of any other child under his care. He said that this is a great sign, that his comprehension is awesome and that by the time he is 5-7 years old, he may have grown completely out of his disability. I was ESTATIC when he told me this. His Verbal Test score was low, he is at a 63, and the doctor told me that we should start looking at other means of communication as a back up to verbal speech. If you remember a while back, his Speech Therapist mentioned that he may be Appraxic, and Dr. Jordan was in agreeance. So, one day at a time.

Now, onto why Blue is my new favorite word. We got home and I asked t if he was hungry, he looked at me and wandered into the kitchen, he then proceeds to climb into his high chair! He understood me! I was so excited, but had no idea what was to happen next. I handed him some berries, strawberries and blackberries and a few blueberries. He ate them all up, then looked to me and said "BLUE?" I asked him to repeat that...I said "What did you say bubbub?" strictly thinking it was a rhetorical question...and to my disbelief he says, "BLUE???" He was communicating with me the best way he knew how and he wanted more blueberries!!!! I can't tell you how exciting this is for us. Hopefully we will hear more from our little man, but for now, blue is good for me.

1 comment:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

How excited that they think he could completely grow out of this disability!!! Holy cow. I know several people with sons on the spectrum and none of them have every been told they see potential for them growing OUT of it. Living normal-ish lives, yes, but out of it? How excited are YOU at that possibility? The advances their making with autistic care amazes me.