Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Art of Breastfeeding, some tips!

I nursed Trinity through my pregnancy with Tristan, and tandem nursed her until she weaned at 3 1/2 years, Tristan is still nursing. I get asked a lot about my supply, "How can you still have milk??? After all these years?" It really is amazing actually, to think that I have been lactating for almost 6 years non stop. WOW, I have been nursing for 6 years!!!

There were a few bumps in the road for us when Tristan was born...because of the low tone in his oral muscles, he had problems latching on...and because he was so jaundiced, then poisoned with vaccines, he was too weak and sick to nurse and was diagnosed with failure to thrive. We were forced to formula feed, but, I always followed with the breast, just to make sure that he was getting the exposure. Trinity saved my milk supply, and had it not been for her nursing still, I would not have been able to nurse Tristan. There were tons of things that I tried to keep my supply up when Trinity weaned. There are easy steps that any new nursing mother, or experienced veteran can use, and here are some things to help you along your journey.

Before you try any of these tips you want to make sure that your supply is indeed low. If you are breastfeeding and your baby is gaining .5-1 oz a day, having 5+ wet diapers and at least 3 soiled diapers a day, then your milk supply is not low- your baby is getting enough. If you are exclusively pumping, as long as you are getting 24oz a day, your supply is fine. However, if your supply is truly low, these tips may help.

(1) Use heat. Wet a cloth diaper with hot/warm water and apply it to your breast right before you pump. The heat will soothe any plugged ducts that you may have and get the milk flowing more freely.

(2) Use massage. Gently massage your breast from the outer part towards your nipple. This will move the milk in your ducts down to the nipple allowing for better expression.

(3) Stay hydrated and well nourished. Drink 8-12 glasses of water/clear liquids a day (any more may be counterproductive) and eat 6 small well-balanced meals a day. If your body does not have enough fluid or nutrients, your milk production will not increase. REMEMBER, YOUR BODDY NEEDS APROXIMATELY 500 EXTRA CALORIES A DAY TO PRODUCE MILK.
*OATMEAL is known to increase milk supply. Eat at least 2 servings a day of Old Fashioned Oatmeal.
*HEMP SEED/NUTS are also a known galactalogue and eating 2-4 TBS of shelled hemp seed a day will increase your milk naturally.

(4) Get Enough Sleep. It's hard, but you need to be well rested. If you are not rested, your body will not have enough energy to produce milk. Take naps when needed and when possible.

(5) Nurse/pump frequently. You need to nurse or pump at least 8 times a day for at least 15-20 minutes on each side in order to tell your body that it needs to produce. I always drink a tall glass of water right before I would pump/nurse, priming the pipes if you will. Also, if you think about your baby when your nursing, the hormone in your brain that produces milk will take the message and your let down with happen faster...I know, amazing!

(6) Try herbal solutions. Fenugreek, Mother's Milk Tea, Alfalfa and Blessed Thistle are all approved for use during breastfeeding. You can find them at GNC or health food stores. A great recipe that my midwife gave me was 3 Fenugreek Tabs and 3 Brewers Yeast Tabs 3x/Day. Boy...that works! Your urine and sweat will smell a bit like maple syrup, but, hey...it WORKS!

(7) Try Zantac. My OB/GYN told me that Zantac is great for helping to build a milk supply. I tried this and it worked. I have really heartburn too, so I killed two birds with one stone.

(8) If all else fails, you can ask your doctor for Reglan. This is a prescription drug that can be used to increase milk supply. Be careful because depression is a side effect of this medicine.

I hope this helps any of you with questions regarding nursing and supply, good luck to everyone embarking on this journey, you are giving your child, and yourself, the most precious gift in the world!!!

1 comment:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

I have never heard that drinking too much water can be counterproductive. How interesting! I wonder if that affected me with Kaylin...I drink water like it's going out of style all day long. Maybe I was drinking TOO much? Who would have thought...