Monday, August 3, 2009

"She's like my mom...away from home."

I asked Trinity if she liked her new teacher and that is what she said....*heart melts*. THAT is how your teacher is supposed to make you feel...safe, loved, nurtured, protected...anything less is unexceptable in my book, so you can only imagine how pleased I was to hear her say that about her teacher today!

So, flashback to this morning....it started off with a pancake breakfast. Trinity was dissapointed to learn that her favorite red ballerina slipper shoes were now one size to small "Mama, my shoes shrank!" I had to explain that her feet grew....AGAIN. She quickly recovered, and picked out an equally adorable pair of favorite shoes. *girls*

I drew a little heart in her hand, and she did in mine, just so we could remember each other during our long day apart...it helped to ease my seperation from her, as I looked at it about 100-ish times today.

We made sure to get all of her things together, her lunch, her backpack etc. and walked to school. I thought for sure she would start getting nervous...but nope, she didn't skip a beat on the way there. We met at the basketball courts then walked her into her class, she sat next to another little girl that was visibly upset, and all I could think of was Trinity last year...I reminded T that it was important to help those kiddos that missed their mama's, and she said "I know, be kind." We gave our last BIG kisses, and then left...no tears, no fighting. She is a Kindergartener.
...and, I love how when we took this picture of her and Tristan, they were holding hands...

Today seemed like an exceptionally long day without her here, at first, I wasn't sure what to do with myself...

...but quickly moved on to doing more productive things to keep busy. We constructed the "Congrats" sign, baked a cake, cleaned the house, went grocery shopping, decorated the house...

I was so happy though when it was 2:30! We walked to the school and brought Hoppy with us to greet her. She had a smile ear to ear when she saw us. I had butterflies...is that weird or what.

I asked her teacher how she did today, and her reply was wonderful. "She is an amazing little girl, very patient and loving...you are doing a great job with her." What a great thing to hear, and we praised Trinity for it.

On the way home she told us about her new friends, how she had lots of fun, didn't cry at all and couldn't wait to return tomorrow. It was really heartwarming to see her face when she discovered the balloons and sign that we worked so hard on.

She loved it....and the cake and milk was nice too!

This was a WONDERFUL day, no more worries about this and that...we are just enjoying all the amazing firsts that she is experiencing and are greatful to have such a loving teacher and an awesome kiddo! Yay school, and YAY Trinity...you did it kid!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! See? I told you it would be fine. You guys just had to get through that first day. I was thrilled to hear her comments about her teacher. That IS heartwarming. It reminds me of Alexis' Kinder teacher. I love that woman. Each week a new boy and girl would be at the front of their lines, and she would hold their hands while walking down the hall. She had this little thing she did with them. She would squeeze their hands the times and it was her way of telling them "I...Love...You" and they remember it, at least Alexis does, to this day. That is the kind of Kinder teacher that makes an impression.

I love the pictures! The final one of Trin holding her arms out under her banner has me grinning from ear to ear!

Unknown said...

Ahem.. that should say she would squeez their hands THREE times...

SpecialK said...

Aw this is the sweetest blog ever! Especially for someone who has yet to send off her kiddo to school. It gives me peace and settles my anxiety (for now, I still have a couple years) about the first day of school! Congrats to all of you, she is such a beautiful smart girl.