Thursday, June 12, 2008

More and More

So, As I had blogged before, Tristan's therapist is worried about his progress. I get a call from AZ State Dept. of Health, it's my DDD Coordinator. Apparently they want to get him re-evaluated for Long Term Care, Tristan's OT is concerned now that we are looking at regression in his Autism. WHAT? Am I completely blinded by my motherly instincts that I just imagined he was progressing? I am at a loss on this one. I thought that he had been doing well, he had been making more appropriate eye contact. He had been having more original and spontaneous speech...albeit one word here or there, it was better than NO words. His Speech Therapist is happy with his progress, having NOTHING but good things to say. I am so confused. Could she be off? I mean, maybe he is having behaviours with her? I am so so so confused. I want there to be a day that I go into therapy, and after his session they come out and say..."WOW, he did _____ perfect 100%~ He is coming such a long way!!!" Because I SEE that. I know how hard he is working, how he WANTS to be talking. Who wants to be locked inside of themselves at the mercy of others to try and translate what they need? Who wants to be stagnant, with no progress? I know he doesn't. I talk to Tristan all the time, telling him how much I love him and know that he is doing all that he can. I know he understands me. I can see it in his eyes. I just wish that everyone else could too.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jenn what does Long Term Care mean?

Jenn Hydeman said...

Basically he would fall under Dept. of Developmental Disabilities Health Care, LTC is needed to recieve coverages past the age of 3 years old and is covered for more severe Autism cases or other disabilities. There is a test / questionare that they go through and score the childs development...it feels so invasive and judgemental, I hate it. They are saying that Tristan has is now at the level that shows he is at risk for Instutionalization meaning that when he is an adult would not be able to function at a normal life...so, he would be a candidate for a Group Home. It makes my heart break hearing someone say that. I think that they are being WAY too judgemental, he is only 23 months old...how can you give him a long term sentence at this age???

Xandi said...

So I've beeen seeing you guys about once a week for a while now and every time I see him (after OT), he seems to be better than the week before. Talking, playing basketball with Corbin, making eye contact, interacting..I'm so confused by this. It almost sounds like she's referring to a completely different child. I believe in Tristan and he is definitely progressing. What an amazing boy he is. We love him SO much!

Jenn Hydeman said...

My main concern with the MRI is the amount of moms that note a huge regression in their child's development after the procedure. We are going to try something new in about 1 week...I will let you all know what we find, if nothing, then we will do the MRI...maybe...maybe not...