Saturday, June 28, 2008

WHY the face??? Anywhere, but the face!







So, as we all know, Tristan's balance is a bit off key...*see concussion discussions earlier this year LOL*. Anyway, today we went to the other side of town to deliver a writing desk, since we were over there, we decided to take a stroll through IKEA. All was well, Tristan was having a blast as was Trinity, then, we go to the kiddie section. Again, both kids doing fine, that is, until the irresistable, inflatable, fuzzy turtle...little t couldn't resist, runs over, all bogartish, and ejects himself off the turtle and head first onto a platform that IKEA stupidly placed to display 2 tables. I mean, who in their RIGHT mind takes plywood, paints it yellow, stacks it on a platform and puts CHILDREN'S furniture on top...in the kiddie section...next to the irresistable, inflatable, fuzzy damn turtle? I am at a loss for the stupidity...truly.

It looked like he was ok...I thought he was ok, passed him off to daddy and noticed the blood dripping from his brow. Shannon and I both thought it was just a scrape until I saw the gooey gape...it had now escalated from a scrape, past a cut, and straight into the "wound" category..shit. As calmly as I can, I scoop up Tristan and Trinity, with the help of Shannon and his brother, find the closest bright yellow shirted employee that I could and let them know that we need SOMETHING now. Upon meeting us in the bathroom they try to stick a regular ole' bandaid on it...I advised that possibly a butterfly strip would be more appropriate??? He comes back with a HUGE band-aid, the ones that you use for hand wounds, and I again state that we should probably wait until the paramedics arrive...I would hate to apply that honkin' thing just to have to rip it off...it's the eye we are talking about afterall.

The paramedics were fast, but not exactly the brightest bulbs in the barn. They asked "has he been acting funny?" referring to how he was running around from one thing to the next....a Tristan trait that we can thank autism for. I informed them that he is autistic, and that he normally behaves this way. They write it down. Then, the lady tries to do her job, see if he is aware, they call it "Orienting him times 3..." but with kiddos, they ask "What color is this? What number is this? Can you show me the circle?" That kind of stuff...but, those are not questions you ask a 23 month old with autism...like I stated before....and you wrote it down...on your paper...that you are looking at right now while you ask my son what number he is standing on.

They tell us that he needs stitches and they can ambulence us to the nearest hospital...stretcher is ready. NO THANKS. He is not loosing blood. That ambulence ride would scare the SHIT out of him...that stretcher would traumatize the crap out of him...then, he would probably hit his head somewhere else and cause a concussion, knowing our luck. SO...we took him to the Urgent Care facility closer to home. They wanted to do stitches, but, I pushed the steri strips / butterfly closures instead. Can you imagine stitches on your eye area??? YUCKAS. And, the scar?? No thanks. We had to hold him down, that was horrible.

At the end of this EVERLASTING BLOG, I can say that he is doing fine now, has a nasty cut that will leave a sweet ass scar, but he is good, and I am glad that it is over. I will post pics in the morning. He seriously looks like a boxer.

2 comments:

Just the Five of Us said...

Poor kid :( Hope it heals quickly!!!

Jenn.y.Fur said...

Boys LOVE scars!! it shows that they're tough! LOL! of course getting to the "scar" is no fun! Hope he's all better now!!