Friday, January 18, 2008

Can't Sleep

In case any of you haven't noticed, I can't sleep...it is 1:33AM and I just can't pull myself to do it. I don't know what is wrong with me, my mind is like a little humming bird, constantly fluttering and flitting...I can't slow it down and all I can think of to do is research. I have decided that I am going to find out as much as I can about Autism and do WHATEVER I can to beat it. This has to be cureable right? I mean, really?? We are currently on a modified GFCF diet, and as of tomorrow...we are making a trip to Trader Joes and Sprouts and Whole Foods if we have to, but we are stocking up on all Gluten Free and Casien Free foods for little t. No more slipping him an occasional cookie...no more chunks of cheddar cheese...no sir, we are doing it, 100% and all at once. I have to find a way to get him out of this. He is barely saying any words aside from JuJu and All Done, other than that, rambling, repeatative rambling. I do realize he is just 18 months, but, the stims have increased too...when I have him off of wheat, they disipate if not entirely dissapear..so, why not? Why not take him off 100%. The kid is allergic to stuff, and children with autism also have gut issues, don't quite understand the correlation, but, it seems to be the same across the board. Ok...I have to get some sleep...it is 1:38AM now, I hear my hubby and dog snoring on the floor and I need to at least walk him to bed..bless his heart. I love Shannon, he really is my best friend.

5 comments:

Gina said...

Just checking on your Blog, and really have missed a lot. My heart truly goes out to you all. I know you know you do have a long road ahead, but you guys will absolutley make this the best life for Tristan I have no doubt! You need to take care of yourself and get some rest. Just keep doing your research and gathering that will help your mind settle, hopefully. You are such a knowledgeable, smart, loving, empathetic person, I have no doubt you all will conquer this in some way. From all my readings and research on health and diet, I have learned that wheat really is not healthful for most. Most people should be on a wheat free diet. Wheat seems to cause flamation in the body. It must be a diet something like an anti-inflammatory diet which is wonderful, but also it will be a challenge. I know I am currently changing my eating to that just for health benefits. Take good care, if you need anything, please don't hesitate! Get some rest now.

Stella said...

I am confused Jenn! What are stims? And, gut issues?

we don't have Mariah on a special diet, maybe we should. I need your help now! ;)

You really are awesome. I love how involved you are with your kiddos, I wish all mommies were like that.

You and Shannon are lucky to have each other, you guys will get through this!

Jenn Hydeman said...

Stims is short for "Self Stimulatory Behaviours" they are things that help him when he is overstimulated, really excited, or really upset...almost like a way of communicating. He does it by rocking, swaying, arching his back and kicking his legs vigorously (but happy while doing it). Some children will spinn, flap their arms, repeatative stuff mostly. Gut issues, basically, REALLY bad reactions to foods through diarrea (constant) or SUPER constipation..which has never happened with us. He almost always has undigested foods in his stools which mean that he is unable to process it. Some children are more sensitive to gluten and casein, and they are finding a correlation between ASD kids and intolerance to dairy and wheat. GFCF is short for Gluten and Casein Free...look it up, it reallly is an amazing diet, and I HIGHLY reccomend it to anyone with Children that have behaviour issues, or a disease such as Autism.

Stella said...

Oh ok, I see.

We haven't had those problems. But, I think I am going to look into the diet. She does have low muscle tone and is chubbier than most of her peers, but at her age she is now concerned with "appearance", so I am going to look into it!

Thanks Jenn!

Unknown said...

Jenn -
I had no idea that you were going through so much. I just want you to know that you have my support. You are my sister's BEST FRIEND in the WHOLE WORLD and besides that you are family in our eyes. If you need a big hug, I'll give you all the hugs you need. Just let me know.